A picture just wouldn’t do justice for this absolutely beautiful rich creamy chorizo corn and sweet potato chowder. I wish you could smell this in the video because it is just heavenly. On cold days like today(27 degrees) in my opinion there’s absolutely nothing better than warming up to a hearty soup or chowder. The combination of the sweet potatoes and the chorizo and the corn have such an awesome balance, a little bit sweet and that spicy chorizo compliment each other so well. This looks totally rich and creamy (and it is) there’s a secret though, ITS HEALTHY and DAIRY FREE!!!! Yes you can make a chowder this gorgeous without heavy cream or milk 🙅🏼. I used chicken broth and a can of coconut milk and some almond milk as well. The flavors are just the perfect marriage.
There’s just something about the combination of sweet with a little bit of heat. Tingles the tastebuds ya know.
I still can’t get over the fact that this soup is so rich and decadent yet has no butter, heavy cream, milk or cheese. Sweet potatoes have got to be one of my favorite things, you can do SO many things with them.
I’m going to be completely honest I had no clue what I was doing here, I just mixed stuff together and prayed it would taste good. But if you put ingredients you like all together it can’t be bad right?
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 package of chorizo
- 1 large white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 box of chicken broth (can use vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of siracha
- Dash of thyme
- Dash of chipotle pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of organic corn
- 1 cup of almond milk
- Peel your sweet potatoes
- Dice em up
- Dice your onion
- I took the chorizo out of the casing
- Heat your coconut oil in a pan
- In a seperate pot put your chicken broth in while the chorizo cooks, when the broth begins to boil, add your sweet potatoes
- Cook until tender
- Add your coconut milk
- Add your almond milk
- Then use either an imulsfier blender or food processor to create your creamy broth
- Put back into the pot, add your cooked chorizo
- Add your can of corn, you don’t have to drain it if you want your soup not too thick
- Add your diced onion and garlic to the chorizo pan until soft
- Then add to the soup
- Add your spices
- Let simmer