Usually jambalaya is filled with sodium and unhealthy things, so I took it upon myself to try and lighten this up. For those of you doing that whole 30 thing, my friend said this is approved. I was meal prepping yesterday and I know typically people eat this with shrimp, but in my person opinion shrimp reheated just doesn’t taste good to me. So I did chicken sausage and chicken instead.
I used brown rice, you can use whatever you please. Make it your own that’s what cooking is all about right?
- 2 chicken breasts (you can use shrimp in place of this)
- Note: You can use all 3; chicken, sausage, and shrimp
- 1 package of chicken sausage (feel free to use regular sausage)
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 bag of brown rice (use whatever rice you like)
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Note: you can use a package of creole or jambalaya spices but I like to make my own to avoid MSG and too much sodium.
- Cook your rice
- Place chicken and chicken sausage on a baking sheet with cooking spray and bake at 350 for 25 minutes
- While the rice and meat are cooking dice your veggies
- Heat the olive oil in the pan
- Sauté your garlic until golden brown, then add the rest of the veggies until they are tender and start to sweat
- Add your cooked rice to the pan of veggies
- Dice up your chicken and chicken sausage
- Add your seasonings mix up and enjoy 😛
I love mine spicy so I used hot chicken sausage and I added additional hot sauce to mine.